Friday, September 26, 2008

WAR - Grinding Public Quests

Rahl is my Chosen, and I want him focused on tanking well by getting gear with Toughness, Wounds, Weapon Skill, Initiative and Strength.

Each of these statistics offer defense and offence, so I came up with a formula to put weight on items when comparing same level items.

From various readings, 1 Toughness is about 1.2 Wounds for defensive purpose.

From the Wiki Statistics, I will weight 1 Initiative as 25% offense and 75% defense.
While Weapon Skill is 75% defense and 25% defense.

This leaves Strength as purely offense, so I will take (Strength / 5) as straight Damage Per Second number.

To summarize Item Weight Points:
Defense = (Toughness x 1.2) + (Wounds) + (Weaponskill x 0.75) + (Initiative x 0.25)
Offense = (Strength / 5) + (Weaponskill x 0.25) + (Initiative x 0.75)

Jennsen is my Zealot and will mainly heal, but I won't spent too much time planning any focus on gearing and just take whichever same item quality reward Rahl gets.

Now on to leveling.

Afer a while of running around doing one quest to another, it got tiring because the landscape objects get my Jennsen. Some of the mobs get agro or in the way and it gets irritating how far they follow.

There's also the varying times in waiting for a scenario to pop up. When the scenario queues are less than 5 minutes, it's worth staying around the warcamp and keep doing scenarios and doing the repeatable scenario quest, and kill enemy quest.

Alternate levelling...

I decided to try out an alternative to levelling: Grinding Public Quests. Most public quests have a no time limit state one that involves killing normal mobs in the area. The 2nd state usually requires killing a few Champion NPCs. The 3rd stage is usually final that involves killing 1 Hero and a coulpe of guards.

Public Quests keeps track of everyone's contribution from damage to healing. Then there is a "roll" in the end with +number to rolls based on where you are in contribution. Some will win, some will lose.

I think the best benefit of Public Quests is I can probably grind the PQ about 4 times and be full in the Influence Points.

Each Chapter in the story line have its own Influence point bar. There are 3 levels of Influence, and each level has a reward from potion, to green item, to blue item.

So, we have 3 story lines: Greenskin, Chaos, and Darkelf for the Destruction Side. There are Chapters 1 to 5 for Rank 1 to 10.

Actually, Chapter 4 Influence item rewards are for Rank 8. Chapter 5 rewards Rank 10 items. Chapter 6 rewards Rank 12 items, and so on.

What about Renown Points?

So, grinding PQ will gain normal xp, and also Influence xp for rewards. The drawback on this is I don't gain Renown XP which can be gotten doing RvR or scenarios.

What's great about grinding PQ's is that I don't have much running out wasting time getting stuck, or traversing around an impassable mountain, or killing crap agro mobs in my way.

I can keep queueing for scenarios while working on the PQ. Eventually, I will participate in RvR objectives as well for another source of Renown xp.

Back to items

With 3 different possible story lines, which one should I do first? Or which one should skip?

I used the Search Filters from wardb.com and I managed to get a list of Vendor Renown Gear for the Rank 2 to 14 (green items). I then put in my item weight formula to determing which gear is great for tanking.

I also got a like of Influence Rewards from starting Chapter 5 for Rank 10 gear. The "elite influence (3)" rewards are all Rare (blue gear), while the level before elite (2) are green items.

Based on my quick Excel list:
1. Skip Chaos Ch 5.
2. Do Greenskin Ch 5. Keep (2) Boots, (3) Keep 1H Axe
3. Do Darkelf Ch 5. Junk (2) 1H Sword, (3) Keep Gloves

How did I conclude the above?
1. The Inflence rewards from Chaos Ch 5 are ok for tanking, but there are better obtainable items for the same level.
2. The Greenskin Ch 5. Influence level (2) Boots reward has better stats for tanking compared the the Rank 11 RR8 Renown Gear.
3. The 1H Axe from Greenskin Ch 5 (3) has better dps and tanking stats. I prefer dps stats for weapons.
4. The Darkelf Ch 5 (2) is 1H sword is junk because the R6 RR6 weapon is better. The other (2) reward (boots of body) armor isn't better than the Renown also.
5. The Darkelf Ch 5 (3) gloves shows the better tankin stats over RR Gear as well.

I assume that I can do those Chapter Influence before Rank 12, and onto Chapter 6.

Abbreviations

I think for abbreviation, I'll refer to this format:
Race + Chapter Number (Influence Level) Item.
So G5(3) Shoulder means Greenskin Ch 5 (level 3) influence, Shoulder item reward.

No comments: