Monday, September 8, 2008

So I pre-oder 2 boxes...

Online pre-orders mean you get your open beta keys via email.

I called 6 different GameStop stores around my area and found one with more than one pre-order box.

Oh the nightmare of File Planet download!

So there I was, Saturday morning and got File Planet wait queue 648 or 648 approximately 6 hours before I can start downloading a 9.4 GB file.

Since I was only waiting, I played some DOTA instead of WoW. Once my wait queue was up, estimated 16 hours downloading at my dsl speed of 150 (byes/sec?).

When I started surfing you tube on the other puter, my d/l speed went down to 50, so I shut down the other puters while I play Single Player Campaign of Warcraft 3.

At midnight, I was 6 of 9 gb... so I went to bed. My first error was my laptop wa setup to shut down after 5 hours!!!! Unfortunately, I was able to download 9.3 GB of 9.4 GB!

By Sunday morning, when I try to continue to download, it started at the wait queue of 1800 of 1800. F***!

So, I paid $7 to "skip the line" in File Planet. The 2nd problem was, my download started at 0 of 9.4 GB, est time: 17 hours!!!!

I search and read the FAQ, and I'm S.O.L -- terminated download = re-download. So I set my laptop to a desktop config without shutting down anything automatically. *sigh*

In desperation, I googled and foung that WinRar 3.71 can read the FilePlanet DLM file. There's hope, so I thought. I was able to extract whatever file I got with only 5 corrupted *.myp files. I ran setup.exe and it ran! But when I ran the patcher, it told me that lots of files are missing and I need to re-install the beta files. *cry*

I searched for a Torrent download and googled some company named BAYDOWNLOAD.COM and it's a SCAM! Good thing I did not pay to join them.

A guildie offered to ftp the files to my computer. So I tried setting up Serv-U and it conflicted with my current Fileplanet download session, so no ftp solution.

I considered buying a 16 GB Flash Drive and visit my guildie 10 miles away too, but I did not do that and just wait on the re-download.

On the good positive spin:
I played Maiev stop Illidan from easting the Eye of Guldam.
I played Karl hook up with Vash and Illidan to defeat Magtherion and conquer all of Outlands.
and I got to start playing Arthas stop all the humans from escaping Lorderon!

I stopped when I was about to go back to Northrend because the Lick Kick commended me!
Iit was midnight also and I had another 2 GB left to download.

So 5 a.m. this morning and File Planet is downloading some key file to unencrypt what I downloaded. By 5:15 I was able to run setup.exe and my Mythic patching has begun.
So I went to work hoping to be home and play beta tonight.

No comments: