Monday, January 14, 2008

3-Box Setup for World of Warcraft

This is my first blog ever, and 3-boxing motivated me enough to create this blog page.

I've been 2-boxing (playing 2 WoW accounts in separate computers at the same time) for quite some time now since Everquest 1, Dark Ages of Camelot, and Shadowbane.

I started with 2 account in WoW and ran into dual-boxing.com site some time last year. I was intrigued with 5-boxing so I suppose, ultimately, I might try that. But for now, I'm upgrading to 3-boxing.

My current computers are 2 AMD X2 4400 which I built over the years, and my first Core 2 Duo laptop from Alienware 9750.

I can run 3 or more WoW clients in either of the 3 computers I own. There are 3 configurations that I like, depending on which characters I am running.

Setup 1: 3-box same characters in 1 computer, and 2 monitor display.

My 17" laptop LCD can display 1900x1200 but my 19" wide monitor can only handle 1400x1050 to obtain the largest vertical pixels. So, I end up with a 2800 x 1050 dual display resolution.

I use WoW Maximizer add-on and set up my main on the laptop as 1400x1050, and on the other monitor to my right splits 2 WoW clients at 1400x525 top-down configuration.

For now, I use AutoHotkey to send some keyboard presses over onto other WoW windows.

This Setup 1 is ideal for same dps range classes, and more complex for the Tank-Healer-Dps group. I've had fun running 3 mages (Level 6s) , and currently levelling 3 shamans (Level 8, 8 and 12)

Setup 2: 1-Box on main laptop; plus 2-Box on 2nd computer, single screen split top-bottom.

This setup is ideal for power-leveling my 2 account while using a 70 Protection Paladin. I'll have another blog for power leveling later.

This setup is ideal and better for me to control my newbies separately from the main in order to position them in a spot where they can still get experience points while my main kills everything.

Setup 3: 1-Box on 3 separate computers; so 3 monitors.

I've spent a lot more time in this mode ever since I started a 3rd account last week.

This setup is ideal for my Tank-Healer-Dps group make up.

I am currently power-leveling a 60 Holy Paladin (which was level 33 just 2 weeks ago) and my 64 Troll Shadow Priest (which was 63 since last year). My 70 Prot Paladin is decently geared for the job. I suppose I'll have another blog about doing Outland instances.

I can see that I may need to get KeyClone or get Xkeys to make 3-boxing easier so I will keep researching that in the next few weeks.

No comments: